Accelerated Introduction to Intelligence Class Description
This 4-hour course, taught by a member of the winning team at the DEFCON 28 and DEFCON 29 OSINT Search Party, will begin with a series of foundational discussions about Open Source Intelligence and adjacent forms of intelligence. From this launching point, the course will dive into commonly used techniques and the use of social media to perform some basic tenets of Intelligence, namely OSINT investigations. Command-line tools may be discussed or demonstrated, but students will be able to follow along fully using nothing more than a web browser.
In brief, this course covers the following via lectures, labs, and demonstrations:
- Intelligence Definitions
- Intelligence vs Information
- Open vs Closed Source
- What is (and is NOT) Open Source Intelligence
- Forms of Intelligence and enablement of other disciplines
- OSINT Heartbeat
- Introduction to Open Source Intelligence Tradecraft
Check the Store Page or Schedule for Upcoming Accelerated Introduction to OSINT Offerings
This is a ground-truth, pure fundamentals course. There are no experience prerequisites. No accounts are explicitly needed, although having social media accounts (they do not have to be your real account nor do they need to be fake [Sock] accounts) to follow along with will not hurt. Prior to the course, please register for an account on the Wiki Here and the Discord Here.
Who Is This Class For?
This class is for the absolute beginner in OSINT as well as seasoned professionals, law enforcement, penetration testers, and cyber threat intelligence analysts seeking to refresh their foundational knowledge.
This 4-hour course costs $120, but coupon codes are often released on Joe’s and the OSINTion’s social media platforms.
Partners and Causes listed on the Partners and Causes page have coupon codes that will provide students with 15% off of course tuition and also provide the partner or cause a donation of 15% of the course tuition for each time their code is used. Choose your favorite and help them with fundraising!
Alternate Payment Methods
Information about using alternative payment methods can be found here.
Continuing Education & Employer Relations
Information about getting certificates, badges, or invoices for CPEs/CEUs/etc. and employer reimbursement can be found here.
About Joe and The OSINTion
The OSINTion is an online and onsite Open Source Intelligence (OSINT) training provider based in the US. The Principal Instructor, Joe Gray, is a recognized expert in OSINT and other relevant topics in information security. Joe’s passionate and common sense approach to OSINT is easy to comprehend and natural for students to follow along.
Competitively, Joe has placed in the following competitions involving OSINT:
- 3rd place in the NOLACon Open Source Intelligence CTF in 2018 (as a member of the Password Inspection Agency)
- 3rd place in the NOLACon Open Source Intelligence CTF in 2019 (as a member of the Password Inspection Agency)
- 2nd place in the BSides Atlanta Open Source Intelligence CTF in 2019 (as a member of the Password Inspection Agency)
- 1st place in the DerbyCon Social Engineering Capture the Flag (SECTF) in 2017
- 4th place in the DerbyCon Open Source Intelligence CTF in 2019
- 2nd place in the Hackfest (Quebec) Missing Persons CTF powered by TraceLabs in 2019 (as a member of the Password Inspection Agency)
- 2nd place in the Hackfest (Quebec) Social Engineering Capture the Flag (SECTF) in 2019
- 2nd place in the TraceLabs Global Missing Persons CTF V (as a member of the Password Inspection Agency)
- 1st place in the TraceLabs Global OSINT Search Party at DEFCON 28 (as a member of the Password Inspection Agency)