This course, taught by a member of the 2nd Place team at HackFest Missing Persons CTF, is designed to hone specifically in on the processes and tools used to perform “People OSINT” in situations where investigators are seeking to find missing people, some of which do not want to be found. This focuses on validating the information discovered and using it to pivot to valuable information, in both a CTF setting (such as Trace Labs’ CTFs –https://www.tracelabs.org/getinvolved/ctf/) and law enforcement.
As with all current courses at the OSINTion, there are no specific prerequisites. Students who have completed the Basic OSINT course may derive more value from the course.
While this course will discuss a couple of tools, there is no need for any virtual machines, API Keys, or tools before the course. Most of the practical portion of the course can be completed using a basic web browser.
What You Will Learn
In this 4-hour class, you will learn:
- The fundamental basics of OSINT
- The basis of People OSINT
- Positive Uses
- Negative Uses
- Information relative to the “OSINT Heartbeat” in terms of expanding, collecting, synthesizing, and contracting based on intelligence:
- Home Life
- Basic Information about the subject
- Advanced Information about the subject
- Information about the day last seen and circumstances
- Current location of the subject
- People OSINT tools and resources
- Social media
- EXIF and Reverse Image search tools
At the end of the course, you will participate in a Mini-CTF to apply the concepts you’ve learned in a collaborative and fun environment.
What People Are Saying About the Course
I thoroughly enjoyed the brilliant Joe Gray @C_3PJoe 's "Intro to people OSINT/OSINT for Missing Persons" course!!! I highly recommend this course for anyone with an interest in Open-Source Intelligence! 😃💻⚔ #osint #infosec #joegray #neverstoplearning— Heidi Rolleston (@heidi_veronica8) January 26, 2020
TFW when you blow up the training chat with “Do you even Regex bro?” and it turns out the instructor does in fact “regex bro” and has an entire course on regular expressions. Needless to say, I’ll be taking @C_3PJoe ‘s regex course when it’s offered. #osint #regex #python— Tom (@human_decoded) January 26, 2020
Who Is This Class For?
This class is for anyone from an absolute beginner in OSINT and Missing person investigations all the way up to seasoned law enforcement and beyond.
This course is normally $75, but in partnership with TraceLabs, use coupon code: TraceLabs15 for 15% off and The OSINTion will also donate an additional 15% of your course registration to TraceLabs.
Registration (Includes The Offering Dates)
You can see available dates and times as well as register here.
This class, in addition to all others, can be viewed on the calendar here.
About Joe and The OSINTion
The OSINTion is an online and onsite Open Source Intelligence (OSINT) training provider based in the US. The Principal Instructor, Joe Gray, is a recognized expert in OSINT and other relevant topics in information security. Joe’s passionate and common sense approach to OSINT is easy to comprehend and natural for students to follow along. By day, Joe is a Senior OSINT Specialist with a firm in the US.
Competitively, Joe has placed in the following competitions involving OSINT:
- 3rd place in the NOLACon OSINT CTF in 2018 (as a member of the Password Inspection Agency)
- 3rd place in the NOLACon OSINT CTF in 2019 (as a member of the Password Inspection Agency)
- 2nd place in the BSides Atlanta OSINT CTF in 2019 (as a member of the Password Inspection Agency)
- 1st place in the DerbyCon Social Engineering Capture the Flag (SECTF) in 2017
- 4th place in the DerbyCon OSINT CTF in 2019
- 2nd place in the Hackfest (Quebec) Missing Persons CTF powered by TraceLabs in 2019 (as a member of the Password Inspection Agency)
- 2nd place in the Hackfest (Quebec) Social Engineering Capture the Flag (SECTF) in 2019